freebcp problem with Freetds version 4.2

freebcp problem with Freetds version 4.2

Funny,Solomon

I am trying to use the freebcp to copy data to a file, but am receiving the following error message:

freebcp prod01.dbo.customer out $HOME/customer.dat -c -Ufunnys -STITAN –Pxxxxxx

                Msg 2410, Level 2

Cannot bcp with TDSVER < 5.0

From the message, it seems,  freebcp is not supported by Freetds versions earlier than 5.0.

My Freetds version is 4.2

My Unix Admin is telling me he cannot find a Freetds version 5.0 or later.  Is this true or is there a site where I can find a Freetds version 5.0 o later?

Solomon Funny

Database Services

Federal Home Loan Bank of New York

30 Montgomery Street

Jersey City, NJ 07322

(201) 356-1235

[hidden email]

Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments (including, but not limited to, any attached e-mails) may be legally privileged and confidential. If you are not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and permanently delete the e-mail and any attachments immediately. You should not retain, copy or use this e-mail or any attachment for any purpose, nor disclose all or any part of the contents to any other person.
ML

Re: freebcp problem with Freetds version 4.2

ML
On 2016-04-21 11:12, Funny,Solomon wrote:

I am trying to use the freebcp to copy data to a file, but am receiving the following error message:

freebcp prod01.dbo.customer out $HOME/customer.dat -c -Ufunnys -STITAN –Pxxxxxx

                Msg 2410, Level 2

Cannot bcp with TDSVER < 5.0

From the message, it seems,  freebcp is not supported by Freetds versions earlier than 5.0.

My Freetds version is 4.2

My Unix Admin is telling me he cannot find a Freetds version 5.0 or later.  Is this true or is there a site where I can find a Freetds version 5.0 o later?

Solomon Funny

Database Services

Federal Home Loan Bank of New York

30 Montgomery Street

Jersey City, NJ 07322

(201) 356-1235

[hidden email]

Disclaimer: I'm not a developer of unixODBC nor FreeTDS, I'm just a user.

I think "TDSVER" in the error message refers to the protocol used by FreeTDS to communicate to your server, and not to FreeTDS's version itself.
AFAIK, TDS Version 4.2 is the lowest protocol version FreeTDS supports. And it has limitations/
You can specify the protocol version in your freetds.conf file; the usual default is 4.2.
Check these:
  http://www.freetds.org/userguide/envvar.htm#TDSVER
  http://www.freetds.org/userguide/choosingtdsprotocol.htm
  http://www.freetds.org/userguide/freetdsconf.htm

For example, MSSQLServer 2005 will happily work with FreeTDS using TDS Version 7.2.

HTH,
zxMarce.

Re: freebcp problem with Freetds version 4.2

Funny,Solomon

ML,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I reviewed the documentation and have resolved the problem by changing the TDSVER to 7.0.

Thank You again.

ML

Re: freebcp problem with Freetds version 4.2

ML
Solomon,
Glad to be of help!
Regards,

On 2016-04-21 12:25, Funny,Solomon wrote:

ML,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I reviewed the documentation and have resolved the problem by changing the TDSVER to 7.0.

Thank You again.

Problem Connecting to WSFC Instance Located in the Cloud

Funny,Solomon

I am trying to connect to a WSFC instance, which is located in the Cloud, using Freetds.

I am able to connect to a WSFC which is located on premise using Freetds.

I have added the configuration information to the freetds.con and odbc.ini files. I have tried using the server name and the availability group name, but the connection fails with error messages:

[S1000][unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Unable to connect to data source

[01000][unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Unknown host machine name.

My config files are as follows:

freetds.conf

# On Premise AWS Instance ag-entdbd1\TIGER

[TITAN]

       host = NTS-ENTDBD1

       instance = TITAN

       tds_version = 7.0

       charset = UTF-8

# Cloud AWS Instance ag-entdbd1\TIGER

[TIGER]

       host = NTS-ENTDBD3

       instance = TIGER

       tds_version = 7.0

       charset = UTF-8

-

- on premise WSFC instance connection

-

isql -v TITAN funnys whoami

| Connected!                                         |

|                                                                  |

| sql-statement                                    |

| help [tablename]                             |

| quit                                                         |

|                                                                  |

SQL> select count(*) from GLACNT

+------------+

|                     |

+------------+

| 2344          |

+------------+

SQLRowCount returns 1

1 rows fetched

-

- Cloud WSFC instance connection

-

isql -v TIGER funnys whomai

[S1000][unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Unable to connect to data source

[01000][unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Unknown host machine name.

[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

I have tried using the cluster name instead of a server name, but the connection fails with the same error.

Is it possible, to connect to a WSFC instance located in the cloud, using Freetds?