Having trouble finding sql.h (include files)

Having trouble finding sql.h (include files)

Sunitha Kambhampati
Hello,

I am trying to get an odbc application to work on linux that has
unixODBC installed.  I have got to the point where  I can create db2
datasource and connect to it using isql.  I have a simple program pretty
much taken from one example on the site ( odbc.c) , but  during
compiling, it does not find sql.h.  Doing a find on the system shows
that only the db2 install has sql.h etc files.

My question is -
1) should unixODBC install give me all the header files necessary like
sql.h, sqlext.h  ?
2) if so,  maybe the install of unixODBC didnt happen correctly , how
can I verify this.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks much,
Sunitha

Re: Having trouble finding sql.h (include files)

Nick Gorham
Sunitha Kambhampati wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to get an odbc application to work on linux that has
> unixODBC installed.  I have got to the point where  I can create db2
> datasource and connect to it using isql.  I have a simple program
> pretty much taken from one example on the site ( odbc.c) , but  during
> compiling, it does not find sql.h.  Doing a find on the system shows
> that only the db2 install has sql.h etc files.
> My question is -
> 1) should unixODBC install give me all the header files necessary like
> sql.h, sqlext.h  ?

Yes.

> 2) if so,  maybe the install of unixODBC didnt happen correctly , how
> can I verify this.

Depends on how it was installed. If its from source I would expect you
to have the headers. If it was from RPM's then you need to install the
devel RPM.

--
Nick Gorham
Easysoft Limited

Sunitha Kambhampati wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to get an odbc application to work on linux that has
> unixODBC installed.  I have got to the point where  I can create db2
> datasource and connect to it using isql.  I have a simple program
> pretty much taken from one example on the site ( odbc.c) , but  during
> compiling, it does not find sql.h.  Doing a find on the system shows
> that only the db2 install has sql.h etc files.
> My question is -
> 1) should unixODBC install give me all the header files necessary like
> sql.h, sqlext.h  ?
> 2) if so,  maybe the install of unixODBC didnt happen correctly , how
> can I verify this.
>
> Any help is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks much,
> Sunitha

I downloaded again and I find the sql.h in the tar file . I will try
again, maybe somehow the previous install didnt happen correctly.

Thanks,
Sunitha.

Re: Re: Having trouble finding sql.h (include files)

Nick Gorham
Sunitha Kambhampati wrote:

> Sunitha Kambhampati wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to get an odbc application to work on linux that has
>> unixODBC installed.  I have got to the point where  I can create db2
>> datasource and connect to it using isql.  I have a simple program
>> pretty much taken from one example on the site ( odbc.c) , but
>> during compiling, it does not find sql.h.  Doing a find on the system
>> shows that only the db2 install has sql.h etc files. My question is -
>> 1) should unixODBC install give me all the header files necessary
>> like sql.h, sqlext.h  ?
>> 2) if so,  maybe the install of unixODBC didnt happen correctly , how
>> can I verify this.
>>
>> Any help is much appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks much,
>> Sunitha
>>

> I downloaded again and I find the sql.h in the tar file . I will try
> again, maybe somehow the previous install didnt happen correctly.

You need to do a configure; make; make install to get the libs and
headers in place, and the make install needs to be done by a user with
permission to write the headers to where they will go. You will see a
permision error if it fails.

Nick Gorham wrote:

> Sunitha Kambhampati wrote:
>
>> Sunitha Kambhampati wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am trying to get an odbc application to work on linux that has
>>> unixODBC installed.  I have got to the point where  I can create db2
>>> datasource and connect to it using isql.  I have a simple program
>>> pretty much taken from one example on the site ( odbc.c) , but
>>> during compiling, it does not find sql.h.  Doing a find on the
>>> system shows that only the db2 install has sql.h etc files. My
>>> question is -
>>> 1) should unixODBC install give me all the header files necessary
>>> like sql.h, sqlext.h  ?
>>> 2) if so,  maybe the install of unixODBC didnt happen correctly ,
>>> how can I verify this.
>>>
>>> Any help is much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks much,
>>> Sunitha
>>>

>> I downloaded again and I find the sql.h in the tar file . I will try
>> again, maybe somehow the previous install didnt happen correctly.
>

> You need to do a configure; make; make install to get the libs and
> headers in place, and the make install needs to be done by a user with
> permission to write the headers to where they will go. You will see a
> permision error if it fails.

Excellent. I got it to all work after installing from source.    Thanks
very much Nick for your prompt response.

Thanks again,
Sunitha.