Can't open lib error

Christopher Walker
I've recently installed unixODBC and the mysql-connector-odbc and I'm
getting the following error message when I execute `isql -v`.

Can't open lib '/usr/lib64/libmyodbc5a.so' : file not found
[ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect

Can anyone offer any assistance on this?

My configuration is as follows:
  * Slackware 14.1 64-bit
    * removed libiodbc and virtuoso packages
  * mariadb 5.5.43
  * mysql-connector-odbc 5.2.7

ls -lah of /usr/lib64/libmyodbc5a.so:
  -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 344K Feb 23 12:08 /usr/lib64/libmyodbc5a.so*

Contents of /etc/odbc.ini:
  [ODBC Data Sources]
  data_source_name = Asterisk

  [Asterisk]
  Driver = /usr/lib64/libmyodbc5a.so
  DATABASE = asterisk
  DESCRIPTION = Asterisk database
  SERVER = 127.0.0.1
  UID = root
  PASSWORD = password
  SOCKET = 3306

Contents of /etc/odbcinst.ini:
  [ODBC Drivers]
  /usr/lib64/libmyodbc5w.so = Installed
  /usr/lib64/libmyodbc5a.so = Installed

  [/usr/lib64/libmyodbc5w.so]
  Driver = /usr/lib64/libmyodbc5w.so
  Description = Unicode Driver for connecting to MySQL database server
  Threading = 2

  [/usr/lib64/libmyodbc5a.so]
  Driver = /usr/lib64/libmyodbc5a.so
  Description = ANSI Driver for connecting to MySQL database server
  Threading = 2

Re: Can't open lib error

Nick Gorham-2
On 23/02/16 19:01, Christopher Walker wrote:

> I've recently installed unixODBC and the mysql-connector-odbc and I'm
> getting the following error message when I execute `isql -v`.
>
> Can't open lib '/usr/lib64/libmyodbc5a.so' : file not found
> [ISQL]ERROR: Could not SQLConnect
>
> Can anyone offer any assistance on this?
>
> My configuration is as follows:
>    * Slackware 14.1 64-bit
>      * removed libiodbc and virtuoso packages
>    * mariadb 5.5.43
>    * mysql-connector-odbc 5.2.7
>
> ls -lah of /usr/lib64/libmyodbc5a.so:
>    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 344K Feb 23 12:08 /usr/lib64/libmyodbc5a.so*

What does

ldd /usr/lib64/libmyodbc5a.so

Show?

Re: Can't open lib error

Christopher Walker
Thanks for taking the time to help.

It's a bit late but I did manage to solve the problem.

After a bit more searching I performed the following steps to figure
out what was going on.

I ran the following and was met with a "file does not exist" error message:

  # dltest /usr/lib64/libmyodbc5a.so

I then did the the following to try and isolate the issue:

  # export LD_DEBUG=all
  # dltest /usr/lib64/libmyodbc5a.so 2>/dev/shm/dltest.txt
  # export LD_DEBUG=
  # grep "lookup error" /dev/shm/dltest.txt

This pointed to a missing symbol named 'my_thread_end_wait_time'.

It looks like my installation of MariaDB is a bit too old for the
version of mysql-connector-odbc that I'm trying to use.  I've tried
compiling both the newer and older version of mysql-connector-odbc and
they both fail.  Seems that I'm not going to be able to use MariaDB
via unixODBC.

Since Asterisk requires unixODBC I'm going to give PostgreSQL a try.
I really don't feel like having to write a build script for MySQL when
there is one for PostgreSQL already on SlackBuilds.org.